JQS Timeline

1846: Josiah Quincy III dedicated the Old Quincy School to his father.

1847: Boston architect Gridley J.F. Bryand designed the Old Quincy School.

1938: The Great Hurricane blew off the Old Quincy School’s roof and the auditorium underneath.

1939: Despite the extensive renovations, the Old Quincy School continued to fall apart…

1976: JQS moved to its current location at 885 Washington Street in Chinatown, Boston. 1984: The                     JQS Dragon Boat, designed by artist Jeff Moy, was decorated by the students of the school. The boat is currently located in the school library.

1985: The real Quincy School Market was founded by the Bank of Boston and built by Lyman Lee in the spring of 1985, when Charles H. Gibbons, Jr. was principal.

1986: JQS received the excellence in education award!

1997: JQS rooftop garden built.

1998: JQS received $22,500 from KaBOOM/NIKE to build a play structure on the lower playground. Quincy School and community helpers helped erect the large play structure. It was dedicated to the former principal Charles H. Gibbons.

2001, 2002 & 2003: Received the 'Effective Practice' award.

2005: JQS was nominated one of the top 100 elementary schools in Eastern Massachusetts.

2006: JQS celebrated its 30th anniversary at the 885 Washington location.

2010: Received the Bronze award for 'Alternative for a Healthier Generation'.

2011: Received the Presidential award for 'Excellence in Science and Mathematic Teaching'.

2016: Received the "e"inc., Urban School Award, the 'BPS Sustainability Top 5 Best Recycler's Award', and the 'Comprehensive Behavior Health Model TFI 70 Award for Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports'.

2017: Received the 'State Secretary's Award for Excellence in Energy and Environmental Education' and celebrated the 170th Anniversary of the school.

2017: The original Quincy school site at 90 Tyler street was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.